Wednesday, 13 April 2011

RSS - The Gift that Keeps Giving

I have already posted about RRS in an earlier post, this is not quite the same thing [over the last week and a bit I have been working a lot with RSS and it has rejuvenated my love for this often overlooked asset.]

I keep hearing a lot about RSS being dead, yes ... it is not rendered correctly in chrome [my favourite browser], yes it is not particularly 'cool', but I love RSS. But as I said in the title it is the gift that keeps on giving. As soon as you write a new post it gives you, automagically xXx amounts of free links back to your site, what is there to dislike? [well there are scrapers which steal your content from agregators, but if you are smart enough to link to yourself in every new post, it is the scrapers which give you a link ;)]

Really Simple Sindication is often seen as rubbish free links, but it can give you a boost [short term] so that search engines do pick up your latest news [well in my case 'ramblings' would be a better word], and what is more you only have to go near it once, set a feed up, then it keeps going, and going, and going...

It's not even spam, it is sindication, it is getting your content out there, it is getting links to the original source. I have never quite understood why people do not have easily accessible feeds on any site which is regularly updated, you are going without free linkage [and I fail to see the negatives in that]. Luckily there are places out there where you can make your own custom RSS feeds [I prefer instapaper, but there are others like open dapper, but ...], but it is not the same, they have to be manually updated, real feeds don't, there is nothing like a proper RSS ...

No, the only thing in the interweb that I like more than RSS are those mental little social networking sites which spring up all over the place [especially whilst in beta], but methinks that that is a different story, for a different post.

LinkMünki

No comments:

Post a Comment